If you aim to get into the top IIM’s in the country, you need to be taking CAT exam. Not only can you get admissions in IIM’s, you also stand a chance to get admission in more than top 100 B-schools in India. Later on, students passing out from these premier institutes are picked by top companies and offered with lucrative salary packages.
It’s a good opportunity for MBA aspirants to get into the most prestigious management schools all over India. Although, it’s also important that you have a good academic record in your previous degree. Last year, more than 2,04,267 students competed for 1550+ seats making it the most competitive exam in the country.
CAT exam is conducted by the IIM’s, which are the premier management institutes established by the act of parliament. The common admission test is conducted to ascertain the capability of a candidate and evaluate their skill and presence of mind during crisis situations. After all, an MBA gets you straight into the top-level management of a company and you need to be smart enough to be among the governing members of an organization.
Top B- schools and IIM’s you can get into through CAT colleges in India
This exam is the entrance exam for 10 IIM’s(Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Lucknow, Kozhikode, Shillong, Indore, Raipur, Ranchi, Rohtak)
- Department of Commerce, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar
- Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal
- NITIE Mumbai
- MANAGE Hyderabad
- MNIT Allahabad
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare & Business Management, Kolkata
Top Private Institutes
- Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon
- SP Jain Institute of Management & Research (SPJIMR), Mumbai
- Institute of Management Technology (IMT), Ghaziabad
- Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar (XIMB)
- TAPMI Manipal
- LIBA Chennai
CAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus, Eligibility
CAT Exam Pattern 2018
CAT exam is a computer-based test. This year, it is going to be held in the month of November or December. Although there could be some minor changes in number and type of questions and their sectional composition, the basics are almost the same.
The paper will consist of 3 sections with a total of 100 questions. It is sectionally timed where each section is timed with the individual time limit of 1 hour. You need to ensure high score in each of the 3 sections as there is also a sectional score cut off in IIMs for shortlisting.
|Name of the section||Total questions||Time limit||MCQs with negative marking||Non-MCQ’s without negative marking||marks|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||34||1 hour||24 to 27||7 to 10||102|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||32||1 hour||24||8||96|
|Quantitative Ability||34||1 hour||23 to 27||7 to 11||102|
As you can see, the total number of questions are 100 divided into 3 sections.Questions with negative marking are 75 whereas the ones without negative marking are 25. Every right answer will be awarded 3 marks whereas 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer.
CAT exam 2018 2019: Eligibility
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons With Disability (PWD) categories]
- Candidates appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply
However, it must be noted that the mere fulfillment of minimum eligibility criteria will not ensure consideration for shortlisting by IIMs. They have additional criteria for evaluation.
CAT syllabus 2018 2019:
- Quantitative ability
Number Systems,Profit, Loss and Discount,LCM and HCF,Speed, Time and Distance, Percentages, Time and Work, Ratio and Proportion,Averages,Quadratic Equations & Linear Equations, Complex Numbers,Simple and Compound Interest,Logarithm, Sequences and Series, Inequalities, Probability, Surds and Indices, Set Theory & Function, Permutation and Combination, Permutation and Combination, Trigonometry, Coordinate Geometry, Geometry, Mensuration
- Data Interpretation
Tables, Caselets, Bar Graphs, Line Charts, Line Charts, Venn Diagrams, Pie Chart, Other Basic Reasoning Questions, Calendars, Number and Letter Series, Clocks, Venn Diagrams, Cubes, Seating Arrangement, Binary Logic, Logical Matching, Logical Sequence, Syllogism, Logical Connectives
- Verbal Reasoning
English Usage or Grammar, Vocabulary Based (Synonyms/ Antonyms), Fill in the blanks, Sentence Correction, Cloze Passage, Jumbled Paragraph, Meaning-Usage Match, Analogies or Reverse Analogies, Summary Question, Verbal Reasoning, Facts-Inferences-Judgments, Reading Comprehension
CAT Exam 2018 – Important Dates
- CAT 2018 Notification: July 28, 2018
- CAT 2018 online registration start date: August 4, 2018
- CAT 2018 online registration ends: September 20, 2018
- CAT 2018 Admit card release date: October 25, 2018
- CAT 2018 Exam date: November 25, 2018
- CAT 2018 Result date: January 2019 second week